On the brink
- at the edge of, very close to, almost at the point of calamity, destruction, disaster.
Generally speaking this phrase is used with a negative meaning.
- on the brink of war
- on the brink of economic collapse
- on the brink of a mental breakdown
However, I have seen it a few times with a positive slant.
- on the brink of a new discovery
- on the brink of a new century
Brink is a noun which means edge, verge, extreme edge.
Enjoy! And let me know if you come across it today in your learning.