Some languages have words that are called homophones which could be hard to remember, these words are pronounced very similarly but they are written in a different way and also they have a different meaning.
It is important to know the difference when writing because it could change the meaning of the text. The word Porque is an example of this. In this article, you will know how to use them, their translation into English and some exercises so you can practice, let's start!
1. PORQUÉ - THE REASON OF/THE CAUSE OF/ THE MOTIVE OF
This is used as a noun, as a concept. In this case, the translation in English would be The reason of/The cause of/The motive of. Remember that in English we use the article the and then the noun, in Spanish is very similar we use the articles el o la before the noun. That’s why sometimes you would see el porqué and it’s variations: el motivo, la causa, la razón.
- No entiendo el porqué de su actitud.
- I don’t understand the motive of his attitude.
- Nunca nos justificó el porqué de su decisión.
- He never justified the reason of his decision.
2. POR QUÉ - WHY
This is used mostly to ask questions looking for a reason. In English, the translation would be Why … ?. This is equivalent to Por qué (razón o motivo) … translated into English would be For what reason/ motive …
- ¿Por qué estabas haciendo eso sin mi permiso?
- Why were you doing that without my permission?
- No comprendo por qué nos haces esto.
- I don’t understand why you do this to us.
- ¡Por qué piensas de esa manera!
- Why do you think like that!
3. PORQUE - BECAUSE
This one is simple, it has a direct translation of the word because. This is a conjunction, it joins two clauses (sentences). One sentence gives an idea or a situation and the other explains it.
- Estoy en mi casa porque estoy haciendo mi tarea.
- I am at my place because i am doing my homework.
- Ella me dijo eso porque estaba asustada.
- She told me that because she was scared.
4. POR (EL/LA) QUE - WHY or FOR or FOR WHICH or SO THAT
There are two grammatical uses for this one:
The first use is the preposition por + the relative pronoun que.
- Este es el motivo por que te llamó.
- This is the motive why he called you / This is the motive for which he called you
Sometimes you can find an article (la, el, las, los) between por and que.
- No entiendo la verdadera razón por la que se escapó.
- I don’t understand the real reason why he escaped.
In the second use it consists of the preposition por + subordinating conjunction que
- En el referéndum votaron por que no se cambiara la ley.
- In the referendum, they voted so that the law wouldn´t be changed.
IMPORTANT TO KNOW: Do a native speaker know for sure the difference? The answer is most of the time no. This is not confusing at all when talking, the difference of the sound between the porques is very small. On the other side, if you are writing an important document you have to know the differences. This will make your document more professional.
TRANSLATE THIS SENTENCES INTO SPANISH
- Why are you learning Spanish?
- I want to know why you are leaving.
- She says she is not eating because she is not hungry.
- Everything has a reason.
- This is the reason for which I didn’t call.
- Why do you eat that? Because it's my favorite!
- In the room we took a decision so that the man would be captured as soon as possible.
- I learned how to climb because it was necessary.
FILL WITH THE CORRECT ANSWERS
- ¿_______________ tardaste tanto tiempo en llegar a casa?
- No me gusta nada la comida _______________ está muy salada.
- Quería saber _______________ decidimos irnos de la universidad.
- Cada _______________ que me planteas es muy interesante.
- _______________ no conozco esta zona es por lo que no quise aventurarme.
- No entiendo las situaciones _____ las _____ hemos estado discutiendo.
- ¿Que _______________ le he dicho eso en la cena? Pues _______________ él ayer me dijo que jamás volvería a regresar y lo hizo.
- ¿Te gustaría saber _______________ hay tanta gente aquí? ¡Pues _________ hoy se celebra el día de muertos!
- El _______________ de las cosas a veces no tiene explicación .
- ¿De qué te quejas y _______________ siempre tenemos que hacer lo que dices?
If you have any questions about this article please feel free to contact me and I will be happy to answer. Also please comment what do you think about this article! Have an excellent day, hope to speak to you soon!